Tuesday, September 18, 2007

RA: Starving Student? So What!

I have to say that I hate the people who sell those Starving Student Cards, except for the fact that it came in handy for this blog requirement. I get really annoyed by sales people, especially when they do not back off. My rhetorical analysis will summarized below and I will call the salesperson SS man. (Starving Student Man)

WATCO: buying a starving student card(A) on a students' wealth(B)
Enthymeme: Buying a starving student card(A) will make me a wealthy student(B)
B/C: the starving student card(A) will save me hundreds of dollars(C)
Implicit Assumption: Anything that will save me hundreds of dollars(C) will also make me a wealthy student.(B)
Evaluation of the Implicit Assumption: I do not think that the assumption was very plausible, at least not to me. While saving a couple hundred dollars would be a great thing for me and any other student, I still do not think this would label me as "wealthy." Another thing that really bothered me about SS man was the fact that he was so insistent on trying to convince me that after one or two purchases the card could pay for itself. While this is true, SS man did not understand that most of the places listed on the starving student card were places that I never go to. Therefore, I would probably force myself to waste money just because I bought the stupid card. These kinds of things are never appealing to me.
Audience: me, any other student at this University
S: SS man made some good arguments but they were not sufficient for a customer like me. I hate most fast food restaurants and that is what the majority of the places on the card are for. He should have realized after the 80th time that he had the wrong audience.
T: Yes, it was typical. I would expect any SS man to give the same speach to any student.
A: Yes I am sure it was all true.
R: To many students yes, to me, not so much. It just wasn't something that interested me at all.

Sorry to be so difficult and shoot you down SS man. You did pretty good but I am just stubborn and cheap.

0 comments: