Thursday, October 28, 2010

Little by Little

One of the best and most profound books I have ever read is The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. It is a very short read but one that takes some time because it is quite deep. I read it about two years ago and and am planning on reading it again after I finish Mocking Jay. For those of you who haven't read it, The Screwtape Letters are basically letters from a "devil" to his nephew in training. The book basically details how Satan tries bring us down and how he works. It is one of the most spiritually enlightening books I have ever read other than the scriptures. C.S. Lewis is often quoted by the General Authorities because of his deep spiritual thoughts. Here is a quote I love from the book:


“All these, as I find from the record office, are thoroughly reliable people; steady, consistent scoffers and worldlings who without any spectacular crimes are progressing quietly and comfortably towards our father’s house.”

This really serves as a reminder to me that it is the very simple things that can lead us astray. Most of us will not become murderers overnight but little tiny things slowly build into bigger and more destructive things. It makes me want to recommit to being better because I fail at being who I should on a daily basis. I need to dedicate my life 100% to become the person I strive to be. So from now on I will commit to the following:

1) Do what I believe is right no matter who is listening/watching. Be a better example in word and in deed.
2) Stand up for myself and not let people use me
3) Put my whole heart into doing good and not get distracted by unimportant things

This post is mostly for my benefit, because I am at work and do not have my journal to write in. But I also love C.S. Lewis and think you should all try his books out to. ;)

And on a side note, I have begun my grad school applications and am SO excited for this opportunity next fall, provided somebody accepts me. I feel like I finally know what the next step in my life will be and I can stop waiting around! Oh please let me get into the school(s) of my choice!!


0 comments: