Well I am a little hesitant to post today because I am not doing so for sympathy. I do however want to post in memory of someone very dear to me, my brother Nathan. Today marks the 11th year anniversary of his death. I choose to use this day to honor and remember the life he had. I am going to list some of my favorite memories. Most of you who read my blog did not know my brother so now you can learn a bit:
1) His favorite hymn was Battle Hymn of the Republic-not sure why but I think it is funny
2) His FHE lessons were always intricate Jeopardy games or practice fire drills. The one I remember most was learning how to use a fire extinguisher to put out fire and standing in my front yard spraying down fires. Who says FHE isn't fun?
3)One Halloween he wore my mom's clothes to school to dress up as a women. Let's just say my parents were slightly embarrassed.
4) He loved Nirvana, and Oasis and to my mom's delight, the Grassroots
5) He played Piano, Guitar, and Alto Sax-one time he left his saxophone in the drive-way while waiting for the bus and my dad backed over it on his way to work. The worst part was Nathan had a concert that day...oops!
6) He taught me how to build/shoot off rockets and shoot guns
7) He worked as a bagger at the local IGA and when he asked my friend's mom if she needed help out to the car she said something (I cant remember what) and he picked up her son and carried him out even though he was my age (10 or 11) and totally capable of walking-he was just a goof
8) When he was little he had to wear a pirate patch because of his lazy eye but he would always take it off when he left the house
9) He, Valerie and I used to play a game called Tornado where we would go out in the ditches and pretend tornados were coming and hide or something, I can't really remember-oh the life of a farm kid
10) He was an engineer and was always building/inventing things-he and my dad built a storage shed in our back yard
11) He was an electrician- he made a doorbell for his room and all sorts of other gizmos. He even helped wire our house after it was built.
12) He probably teased me the most out of my three brothers but also spent the most time with Val and I. He was always hugging on my mom and would sit on my parent's lap from time to time.
Well that is some of the stuff that comes to mind right now. I recently made a similar list in my journal but it has a lot more to it probably.
"We're all of us stars
We're fading away
Just try not to worry
You'll see us some day
Just take what you need
And be on your way
And stop crying your heart out"
-Oasis-
Sunday, November 9, 2008
In Memory
Posted by Jan Nut at 12:48 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Oh June! I was definatley almost crying. This is such an awesome post. My favorite is how Nathan had a doorbell to his room and that FHE was fire drills! That's hillarious!
I loved hearing that...thanks for allowing us to see a glimpse into your heart. I loved the memory about picking up the little man and taking him out to the car. He seems to have a fabulous sense of humor. I love you Janut!
Wow, I always remember the day, but never really stop and think of the memories I have of him. Those were all so true and brought back some good times. (just for the record, I helped build the shed too). I really miss him and wonder where life would have taken him. Part of the reason that it kills me to be so far away from all my siblings is because I have to be far away from one of them; I don't have a choice. The ones that I have left I should relish the time we have together and build that bond even more, but I don't get to because we are all so far away. I hope you know how much I love and miss you. I really hate the fact that I missed out on so much of your life and wish I could have been there more for you. I love you so much and hope that our paths will one day allow us to spend more time together (hint, move to Florida). Love ya sis.
I had a good laugh at some of Nathan's silliness/peculiarities. I do miss him!!!
oh you guys are all fabulous.
Brian don't worry. I think you do a good job of trying to be involved in my life and keeping in touch. I really feel like I can call you and dev whenever I need to.
P.S. You could always move out here, we have McDonalds here too ya know...
P.S. I love you too. Can't wait to see you in a few weeks!!
Post a Comment