Friday, September 26, 2008

Currently Reading

So as most of you know, I have a LOT of time on my hands now days which is quite nice most of the time. Today I was thinking about all of the books I am currently reading and I was surprised by how many it is. I guess I am sort of ADD when it comes to books so I am always reading at least 2 at a time. But I think think this is a record for me.....

The Great Gatsby: I read this in high school but found it at work and wanted to read it again because I couldn't remember much of it but I remember enjoying it.

The Twilight Series: #2 New Moon I know what you are all thinking....I really hate fantasy/sci-fi because I have zero imagination. I never desired to read these books because they seemed so weird. My friends at my old job bought me the first one and said I had to read it because I was always saying how I never would. Well I read Twilight at work and it was actually pretty good. The author's style bugs me a lot but other times I really enjoy the way she writes. Overall the books are good so far and I want to finish the series and also see the movies.

The Book of Mormon: This is kind of a constant read thing as I am sure it is for a lot of you. I am almost through Alma (I know I am a little behind the Sunday School Schedule) but as always I learn some new insights every time.

Trusting Jesus: MY FAVORITE BOOK! I am almost done reading it for the second or third time and I just love it. Elder Holland is amazing and this book makes me feel so good about life! READ IT!

A Child Called It: I have read this one before too but stumbled upon it at work and decided to read it again because I never read the others in the series and want to read them all. Very simple read but hard to learn of all the crap this kid went through.

God Wants A Powerful People: This is a Sheri Dew book. It is pretty good and helps me feel motivated to do good things. I will be honest, her writing style bugs me from time to time. I am kind of picky but overall the ideas she presents are good.

Where the Sidewalk Ends: This has always been my favorite poetry book. My sister sent me a package a few months ago with this book. I love to just sit down and read all the fun poems. I am about halfway through reading from cover to cover.

And one I finished about a month and a half ago but cannot fail to mention is The Kite Runner. I could not put it down! I still haven't seen the movie but the book is fabulous. Another favorite that I read this summer was The Screw Tape Letters by C.S. Lewis. It was my first Lewis book and I loved his thought processes and style. He is an ingenious writer. As you tell I love to read but even more so I have a passion for writing so I am constantly critiquing everything I read. If anyone has any great books let me know!

4 comments:

Mandi said...

freak! I could never read that many books at one time...I would get all the stories mixed up! Janet, I have three words THE-CHRISTMAS-CAROL! especially around christmas. I'm just going to bring it over and make you read it. It is so cheery and festive!

Anonymous said...

Those are some good books!!! I like your list!

Melani said...

Oh June...sometime I will need to start reading you Harry Potter...again. I love all the books on your list. I want to read the one by Elder Holland. It sound Delightful.

Jan Nut said...

Oh I would love to read the Christmas Carol! I love the movie but have never read the book. As for Harry Potter...well I supposed I can give it a try. And you can borrow that book any time. You will love it!